From a Chartered Accountant to a Singer: Pursuing my Passion and Profession
- Do you have a passion that you have kept on hold because of other responsibilities?
- Hi! I am Rohit Mittal - a singer, guitarist, composer and a Chartered Accountant from India.
- I am working full time and also pursuing my career in Singing. The CA degree has given me great financial freedom, respect, and confidence.
- Here is my journey pursuing my passion and profession.
Becoming a Chartered Accountant and Pursuing my Passion
My journey with music started in childhood. I won various awards at school and inter-school events. Constantly learning and getting better I carved my own path. So as a kid I balanced singing and studies but things changed when I moved to Delhi from my hometown Harya to pursue Chartered Accountancy.
So my Chartered Accountancy journey was tough no doubt but I worked really hard clearing CPT (1st level CA exam from ICAI) and IPCC (2nd level CA exam from ICAI) in the 1st attempt.
Then I started my articles at a CA Firm in Delhi (India).
All this while music was just a passion and it took a backseat until I performed in one of the CA Final coaching classes of Aaditya Jain Sir, where I received a tremendous response from the audience.
That was the first time in my entire life I took my music seriously and thought provoked to make a career out of it.
I followed my gut feeling and again started my riyaz (singing practice) day in day out to bring flow and improve my voice.
I started performing in various competitions, events, and occasions in Delhi and nearby areas. I did all of this during my articleship.
However, due to imbalance, my studies suffered and I had to again put a break on my singing. I just had one exam to pass to become a Chartered Accountant - CA Final exams.
I cleared CA Final in the 2nd attempt as I got dengue in the 1st attempt. So when it came to my studies I did focus enough and cleared quickly. I managed to achieve my dream of becoming a Chartered Accountant.
I did the following:
- I used to study consistently for 10 - 12 hours daily. CA needs a willingness to study for long hours.
- Along with the nos of hours the 'RIGHT MINDSET' is very important as well.
- Music helped me stay happy and motivated while studying. The fact that I could balance CA studies and Music has given me a great sense of joy and satisfaction.
What are the Benefits of Pursuing Two Careers
After qualifying as a Chartered Accountant I started working at Jindal Stainless Steel Solutions, Delhi in their Finance team.
I simultaneously record videos for my Fans. I sing at various events with my amazing band - The Village of Symphony.
I always knew I wanted to be an EDUCATED MUSICIAN.
I am working full time and also pursuing my career in Singing. The CA degree has given me great financial freedom, respect, and confidence.
Today being a Chartered Accountant gives me the liberty to pursue my dream - To be a musician without any fear. I make enough money to support myself and my dreams.
It is quite amazing.
- Never suppress your desire because of studies.
- Non-availability of time is just an excuse to escape from the Hard Work. So never quit your hobby, keep it alive until you complete your primary goal i.e CA or any other course your pursuing.
- You can have two careers so make time for both your passion and profession.
Now It's Your Turn...
Do you have a passion that you have kept on hold because of other responsibilities?
Comment below and let me know.
Also if you need tips on pursuing singing along with Chartered Accountancy, I am happy to help you.
You can connect to me at CA Rohit Mittal Page
Please sign-in to comment or leave a reply on comments!