From average marks in CPT to achieving the 29th All India Rank (AIR) in CA Final: This CA shares his impressive journey
- Hello everyone, my name is Umesh Jain. I am a qualified chartered accountant and a Management Trainee at Reliance Industries.
- At the age of 17 after clearing CPT, I moved from Jodhpur to Mumbai to pursue my CA Internship with a goal to become a successful CA. Amazingly I achieved the 29th All India Rank (AIR) in CA Final at the age of 20.
- This is my journey of how I became a rank holder and was also able to obtain a degree in Company Secretary (CS).
I started Chartered Accountancy (CA) course immediately after class 12 with courage, passion, and a big dream. At the age of 17 after clearing CPT (1st level CA exam), I moved from Jodhpur to Mumbai to pursue my CA Internship with a goal to become a successful CA. But somebody has rightly said - Success Occurs When Opportunity Meets Preparation.
I scored 127 Marks in CPT which is pretty average, not extraordinary. Then I cleared CA IPCC, (2nd level CA exam consisting of 2 Groups, Group 1 & Group 2) both groups separately in the 1st attempt. However, in CA Final I got an AIR 29 rank.
From average marks in CPT to a Ranker in CA Final
It was my passion to have these 2 letters before my name - CA. My Dad always wanted to be a CA himself. But due to family responsibilities at an early age, he could not pursue CA. To date, my Dad personally manages all the accounts of his business. I guess that his passion rubbed on to me.
He always wanted to make me a successful person not only professionally but personally and his strengths of being focused patient, and having a problem-solving approach helped me greatly. And I am forever grateful to my parents, my teachers,, and all my mentors who advised me and helped me in achieving whatever I have achieved.
CA Internship played an important role in developing my practical knowledge and helped me to understand what is expected of a Chartered accountant (CA). I had done my internship with Jain and Jain, a Mid-Size CA firm in Mumbai which gave me an all-around exposure in Direct Taxation, Auditing,, and some assignments on Internal control.
Initially, I was on the Audit team. Over time I realized that Taxation is what I want to get into. So after a year into my articleship, they gave me a shift to the Tax segment as I was a great performer when I used to go on Audits. So give your best always.
Articleship gave me an overall understanding of how the corporate world works. This exposure helped me greatly in my CA Final exams as well. I always suggest CA Students - Have a versatile experience during their articleship days. Do not get stuck with just Auditing or Taxation. An overall understanding is very important to decide your preferred areas in the future.
CA Final Journey
- My CA Final exam (last level CA exam consisting of 2 Groups, Group 1 & Group 2) was in Nov'16, so I got exam preparation leave from 15th Jun'16. I had exactly 4.5 months to prepare for CA Final. However, typically my preparation for CA Final started immediately after passing CA IPCC.
- I gave my best right from the beginning. Here is the in-depth study pattern I followed giving me an AIR in CA Final.
- Direct Taxation (DT) was always my favorite. I scored 66 marks in DT with Durgesh Sir's Guidance. I shared here all other study details.
Life After CA Qualification
I got placed in Reliance Industries as a Management Trainee. It is a great opportunity to work here and to learn the different business areas.
My advice to everyone:
- One should have Passion to inspire oneself and also work hard to achieve it.
- Understanding basic concepts is a must, as it is difficult to revise the entire syllabus on the exam day.
- You need not be a super genius to become a CA, even an average student who is ready to work hard can become a CA. Just Believe in Yourself.
- CA can be a slow process but quitting won’t speed it up!
- To get a rank or to clear in 1st attempt start preparing early. Study regularly right from the beginning.