How to approach US Clients on Upwork for Freelance Accounting and Tax work?
Finding US-based clients on Upwork, Fiverr, or Freelancer for Accounting and Tax work takes time and effort. You need to create a strong profile that showcases your expertise and qualifications.
- USA is outsourcing Accounting and Tax work to India, now more than ever.
- But building a successful business through Upwork, Fiverr, or Freelancer.com takes time and effort.
- Here's how to strategize your approach to get more clients.
Getting your first client on Upwork can take months
When you are new to the freelancing assignment space, it may feel overwhelming at times.
“How to find freelance accounting and tax work?”
“What platforms should I use to find clients, particularly in the US?” or “I haven’t been able to acquire a client in months. Should I give up?” Questions like these may come to your mind.
You have to remember that building a successful business through Upwork or any other website takes time and effort.
Be persistent in your pursuit
CA Kavita Tapdiya Chakraborty, started by registering herself on a platform called Freelancer (similar to Upwork) in 2008.
“For six months, I spent 18 hours a day sending bids on Freelancer and Guru. In the seventh month, I finally closed my first UK client for $50,” says Kavita.
Despite the long hours and initial struggles, Kavita persisted and eventually found success with Konnect. They are now a team of 150 and still growing.
Her firm handles bookkeeping for 65% of the clients and provides tax services for 35%.
To approach new clients Kavita recommends you:
- First identify your core competencies such as tax, auditing, and accounting.
- Know who you are selling to. Do your research on the prospective client and figure out where he or she needs your help. Then prepare a proposal accordingly.
Best online portals to find freelance bookkeeping work
CA Khyati Raichura began freelancing alongside her CA practice in 2019.
She started providing outsourced accounting, bookkeeping, and payroll functions for a CPA firm.
Khyati originally used Upwork to find assignments. Platforms like Fiverr and Freelancer are also some fine choices. But either way, finding clients is not simple.
Khyati utilized LinkedIn to reach out to professionals, CPAs, and potential clients as well.
“Back in 2018-2019 when I started, nobody believed in me. But the scenario has changed. Outsourcing has become a very popular thing today. If you have a good LinkedIn profile and a professional website you are good to go. That’s how I got more clients. I gave them good quality service and eventually earned their trust. And that is why they stayed with me,” says Khyati who now has a team of 5 and is still growing.
To approach new clients, she:
- Analyzed the work they could expect from her and then created tailored proposals.
- Often worked late or overnight to meet deadlines. (Time difference can be an issue when working with US CPAs/clients).
- A strong work ethic was and is key in this business.
- Last, but not least, Khyati tends to be very flexible when quoting a fee.
How to get more US clients through Upwork
This process requires a strategic approach. Here are some steps to consider:
- Create a strong profile: Your Upwork profile is your first impression. Make sure it's complete, professional, and showcases your expertise in outsourced accounting and tax services. Include your relevant qualifications, experience, and certifications. Keep refining your profile, proposals, and skills to stand out from the competition and build a strong reputation.
- Research potential clients: Use Upwork's search feature to find clients who are looking to outsource accounting and tax work. Look for clients who have posted on recent job listings and have good reviews. You can also narrow down your search by location or industry.
- Tailor your proposal: When submitting a proposal, make sure it's tailored to the specific job description. Highlight your relevant experience and how you can help the clients achieve their goals.
- Set a competitive rate: Research what other freelancers are charging for similar services and set a rate that is competitive but fair for your level of experience.
- Follow up: If you don't hear back from a client, follow up with a polite message to remind them of your interest in the job. This shows your persistence and professionalism.
- Provide high-quality work: Once you've got a client, make sure to provide high-quality work that meets the client's expectations. This can lead to positive reviews on Upwork and repeat business.
Bookkeeping and tax services are becoming a huge market. Both SMEs and CPA firms are increasingly outsourcing work to India to cut costs without compromising on quality.
And with the rise of remote work and virtual collaboration, you can easily acquire clients from anywhere in the world.
Still, think you should give up?
Looking for career advice? Book a 1:1 paid call with an industry expert. Fill up this form.